Wednesday, April 1, 2015

An Orator, an Abolitionist, an Editor, and a Statesman…..WHO AM I?


Mr. Frederick Douglass (1818-1895)

In the 1840s, I rose to prominence on the abolitionist circuit as I presented my story of slave life in Maryland and my escape to freedom.  My newspaper, The North Star, was a mouthpiece of the anti-slavery movement and carried addresses by the leading abolitionists of the day.  During the U>S> Civil War, I used my unique perspective to encourage President Lincoln to all African Americans to engage in the fight.  In the years after the war, I continued to fight tirelessly for equality and suffrage for both African Americans and women.  My Washington, D.C. home is now a landmark monument to my struggle for equality.  An Orator, an Abolitionist, an Editor, and a Statesman…..WHO AM I?




No comments:

Post a Comment