Friday, January 24, 2014

Spending Time with Dr. Maya Angelou by Ms. Noa Williams

Spending Time with Dr. Maya Angelou

Joining You Is
Nola Jones Williams
January, 2014

I read from my personalized, autographed copy of Dr. Maya Angelou’s Wouldn’t Take Nothin’ for My Journey Now* shortly after I got out of bed this morning--a sunny, yet subzero temperature outside. 

My mind filled with images of friends spending this frigid day at my home where we could read Dr. Angelou’s essays together.  Looking on the computer, I had the thought to send each person a copy of the book so that you could read the twenty year old book anew.  Even though we can’t be together, I thought I could mail each person a bit of “stay-at-home and read” pleasure.

Dr. Angelou has been on my mind.  Her tribute to Nelson Mandela (someone emailed the website to me) contained the spoken words that brought peace and comfort to me.  She continues to have a giving spirit.  

I never got to Amazon or Random House to find out what the price would be for 50-100 copies of Dr. Maya Angelou’s I Wouldn’t Take Nothin’ for My Journey Now.  What I did instead was see on You Tube Dr. Angelou reading Part I of the book!

I am still listening.  I “gift” you with a “must listen to” video.  There is a single photograph of Dr. Angelou.  The “gift” I introduce to you is Dr. Maya Angelou’s voice as she graciously shares her book with the listener!  I’m on Part VII, and I am guessing that Dr. Angelou reads the entire book.  Pop-up icons suggest that more of her work is available for your pleasure, at no cost.

Right now, again, I ask that you join me this week and take time to listen to Dr. Maya Angelou’s reading of I Wouldn’t Take Nothin’ for My Journey Now.  I am being blessed in the hearing of her words.  I invite you to claim your blessings, too!

And, give some thought as to HOW you might say “Thank You!”  to Dr. Maya Angelou, she who has given us so much for so long.  Example:  I sent a “Thank You!” 50th birthday greeting to First Lady Michelle Obama last week.  Please know that a large part of my sharing with you today is my way of saying “Thank You!” to Dr. Maya Angelou.

So, listen up on You Tube OR get out the book and read it again...        nola

*My cousin Alice Mary Windom gave me my autographed copy of the book last year.  Alice, long-time friend of Dr. Angelou, goes to Dr. Angelou’s birthday party each year.  Through Alice I get to hear a little about the grand event.  Alice’s personal account of her journey to and from the parties is “her story”, unique, DELIGHTFUL!

nola williams



No comments:

Post a Comment